Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 1996 18:48:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium gcc port done

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> >
> > > Sent it tonight to Satoshi.
> >
> > To be more specific. It's gcc-2.7.2p-p6. Get the pentium
> > patch via Netscape and save it under patches/patch-aa.
> > The appended patch save under patches-ab.
>
> Now, of course, the real question - have you tried compiling a complete
> system or kernel with it yet? :-)

A complete make world isn't possible. You'll get many compiler
errors, for example in libc and so on. What I don't understand
is, that the new gcc can't compile sources that are compiled well
by gcc-2.6.3. Surely it has to do with stricter prototyping I
think...

X11R6 didn't work for me after recompiling completely with
-pipe -mpentium -O2... People told me, that they made same
experiences.

The port differs a bit from the version I used these days,
I added --with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld, perhaps this makes
a little difference in code generation ? We'll see.

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -