Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:38:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
Cc:        -current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bktr over new I2C framework, ready

I bashed the cc: down a bit.

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> Sorry, I'm not generous in details :)
>
> I2C is a very powerful and low-cost serial bus specified by Philips for
> multimedia purposes. A master chip on the bus controls slave chips (memories,
> voltage sensors, termometers, EEPROMs, batteries) with any byte oriented
> protocol.

If you want an I2C device to play with check out the Matrix Orbital LCD
displays.  They're normally driven by RS232 but they do have I2C pins
through the power connector. :)

The display is very smart and if you throw it characters it'll display
them, no silly intercharacter timing or any of that stuff.

They're available in multiple sizes, up to 20 char X 4 lines.  You can
pick these up through linuxcentral.com.  Matrix Orbital is very responsive
to developer questions and is free-software friendly.

Doug White