Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:51:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, vj2786x@mbox4.singnet.com.sg
Subject:   Re: Unix and FreeBSD

>From: "Alvin" <vj2786x@mbox4.singnet.com.sg>
>Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:13:16 +0800

>I'm a newbie to Unix and I'd like to learn Unix. However, the software is
>far too expensive for me.

Hmmm....  Are you sure?  I don't know whether the recently-announced Sun
initiative with respect to low-cost Solaris 2.x licenses applies to you
or not, but it may well.

>How similar is FreeBSD to commercial Unix?

Well, this depends on a lot of things, such as:

* Which commercial flavors of UNIX you're interested in -- each vendor
  has some "value add" which amounts to differentiation.  Some of these
  are somewhat more useful than others, but nearly all represent
  divergence from the common base, and thus additional learning curve
  for a person.  These effects may be fairly minimal for casual users or
  folks who just use certain products; they tend to be most noticable
  for those of us who are systems administrators.

* Which release of FreeBSD you're (planning) to use.  Since FreeBSD is a
  "work in progress," there are aspects of it that are undergoing
  change.  (On the other hand, this also applies to current commercial
  UNIX flavors; the only ones to which it does not apply are those that
  are no longer being developed.  I presume that these are not of much
  interest to you.)

In any case, there is a vast underlying philosophy of approach that
nearly all variants of UNIX have in common, to a greater or lesser
degree, and that distinguishes UNIX implementations from (say) OSs such
as MVS or VM, or Microsoft's application loaders.

In spite of the "SysV" vs. "BSD" approaches to many things, for example,
I still find Kernighan & Pike's _The UNIX Programming Environment_ to be
a classic for discussing several aspects of this underlying philosophy
(and this, despite the age of the book, as well).

>Will knowing FreeBSD help me in using commercial Unix later on?

Quite probably.  Depends somewhat on how good you are at distinguishing
the critical design decisions from superficial implementation details,
and picking up the essentials.

One thing that can be *very* helpful is to compare a couple of different
implementations; for example, FreeBSD vs. Solaris 2.x for the x86.  (For
even more difference, try FreeBSD vs. Solaris 2.x for the SPARC -- I
have found Solaris 2.x for SPARC much easier to use and work with than
the x86 version, but that may be a reflection on my background.)

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621