Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:00:04 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bootable floppy...

I recently started playing around with the idea of creating a bootable
floppy that would boot a freebsd kernel, configure a network interface,
and begin to run program 'x' on the console. I got the disk newfs'ed,
a minimal kernel compiled, compressed, and on the disk (~300KB), and
have it booting.

The question comes in what I need after that. It complained (panic'ed)
about not having init, so I threw it on in sbin, then figured it would
need sh if I wanted to go into single user mode, so I put that in. I
also through in some minimals in the /dev directory.

To date, I can't get the thing to go past the kernel recognizing hardware. Could
someone please tell me what the minimal file set is to make this
type of operation happen (in the smallest configuration?). I looked at
the doc sites to no avail.

Anyhow, if someone could cast a light on this shadow, I'd appreciate it.
	-Brian