Date:      Sun, 11 May 2014 15:52:25 +0000
From:      Alonso Schaich <alonsoschaich@fastmail.fm>
To:        Tuomo Latto <djv@iki.fi>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Source upgrade from 9-stable to 10-stable

On Sun, 11 May 2014 15:03:32 +0300
Tuomo Latto <djv@iki.fi> wrote:

> I don't think I've seen any explicit instructions for a source upgrade
> (i.e. buildworld/installworld) from 9-stable to 10-stable.
>
> Considering it is both another major version and a different compiler,
> are there any obvious or non-obvious gotchas I should be watching out for?
> Even all the stupid mistakes to avoid are welcome answers.
> I don't want make those either.

If you didn't "tune" the build configuration (make.conf, src.conf,
KERNCONF, ...) you should be able to upgrade to 10-stable in the same
way you would update from 9.2 to 9.3 (i.e. normal update plus switching
the source repository previously), however BIND is no longer part of
FreeBSD, so if you used BIND you might want to install BIND from ports
on your 9-system, configure it to use the ports BIND instead of the
base one and eventually rebuild/reinstall 9-stable (with) WITHOUH_BIND.
Perl is also gone, but you likely have a ports perl in your PATH anyway.

The process of building FreeBSD-10 _should_ work with 9's historic gcc,
though you can go safe and setup clang and it's libc++ to become the
default in 9-stable by using WITH_CLANG_IS_CC and WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS
just to be safe.

As the c++ runtime library was exchanged, you need to rebuild all (c++)
ports before running make delete-old-libs of the updating process
(however I would recommend just to rebuild *all* installed ports).

www/squid3* doesn't build with clang over here, but that can be
workarounded by adding "--disable-strict-error-checking" into the port
Makefile's CONFIGURE_ARGS.

> BTW, no COMPAT_FREEBSD8 or COMPAT_FREEBSD9? Really?
>
> --
> Tuomo

There was no COMPAT_FREEBSD8 in FreeBSD-9 either, as AFAIK 10 and 9 are
completely downward compatible to 8. Also, the FreeBSD-10 kernel can
run a FreeBSD-9 userspace without any modifications (I'm running a
9-jail on a GENERIC 10 host over here).