Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:17:51 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI programming woes.

> I am trying to write a very kludgey/monolithic driver for a CardBus ethernet
> adapter.  I have run into a bit of a stumbling block on some issues.  One such
> issue is the attach (I need to map some registers of the adapter into memory
> space so I can read/write values.).  Anyway if someone could explain some
> of the following I would be very thankfull.

You're making life far too hard for yourself.  FreeBSD doesn't reward
you for trying to kludge things; the infrastructure you're looking for
wants you to be using our bus interfaces.

Have a look at pmap_mapdev() for what you're trying to do.

> Take your average run-to-the mill PCI network driver... like FPA or FXP.  Now
> look for the attach routines... there are *2* of them, with the exact same
> function name, and different arguments?!?!

You're picking bad examples to work with, since both those drivers
support multiple operating systems.  Try a much cleaner driver like,
eg. if_tl.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org