Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:00:13 +0100
From:      Chive <lex@blacktrap.net>
To:        Adam Blake <blake@sba.miami.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msn gamezone stuff thru a gateway

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 03:36:28PM -0500, Adam Blake wrote:
> This is an issue I have to solve for my roomate as he is running Windows 98 and wants to play MechWarrrior 3 online at msn gamezone.
>
> my network topology is as follows...
>
> I am running FreeBSD 4.0 that connects to PacBell DSL via PPPoE and is
> the gateway for the internal LAN in my apartment.
>
> ppp is being run on the FreeBSD machine with the -nat option...
> I am not using ipfw or any rules presently...
>
> The 2 apartment nodes are my imac and my roomate's Windows 98 PC.
>
> After reading Microsoft's game zone support site and the MechWarrior's manual I gather i must make two things happen...
>
> I must make it look as if my roomate's PC has the IP address of the FreeBSD box and I must re-map certain ports from the FreeBSD machine directly to his
> computer.
>
> Here's the link from msn's gaming site:
>
>  http://support.microsoft.com/Support/Games/Zone/Tshoot/Causes/Proxy.asp
>
> Is it possible to do all of this re-mapping and stuff from within
> ppp.conf using some of the "nat" related features or do I need to set up
> another program to run on FreeBSD?

There is a ``nat port'' command in ppp that looks as it might do what you
want.
You can also run ipnat (or natd) to do the nat and do the redirection from
there.
On this subject, does anyone have a definite answer about whether it is
allowed to redirect a range of port in ipnat? Right now I have 100 redirection
rules, one for each port (the Daemon burns those stupid Microsoft
protocols).
If not, where can I find a comparison of ipfw vs ipfilter? I have used
ipfilter up till now but would change if the features are similar and
redirecting a port range does not work in ipnat.

--
Chive.