Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:03:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@venus.os.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports (how)

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Craig Shrimpton wrote:

> Could someone please quickly explain the process of installing ports on
> FreeBSD 2.1?  I have the distfile inn1.4sec.tar.Z, innxmit-long-lines,

The ports are the coolest thing about FreeBSD, although they are best if
you have full IP connectivity.

First you get the delta from the ports direcory at your favorite FreeBSD
mirror.

$ftp ftp.freebsd.org
Name (ftp.freebsd.org:ahill): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>lcd /usr/ports
Local directory now /usr/ports
ftp> cd /.3/FreeBSD/ports
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> get /news/the-name-of-the-port.tar.gz
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /usr/bin/tar.
226 Transfer complete.
95095 bytes received in .2 seconds (many Kbytes/s)
ftp> bye

This should tar and gzip the direcory of the port you wanted and transfer
it to your /usr/ports. Now you untar it with :-
#cd /usr/ports
#cat the-name-of-the-port.tar.gz | gunzip | tar xvf -
#cd the-name-of-the-port
#make install

At this point if you have the required distfiles in /usr/ports/distfiles,
the compile will begin, if not, the distfile will be ftp'd automatically
from some archive somewhere.

cheers

Anthony