Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:00:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "Mark J. Sommer" <msommer@argotsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mixing RAM for FreeBSD ?

> >inaccurate, just that the thing being measured at 12ns is *not*
> >the same thing that is measured at 60ns in the SIMMS. When you
> >start comparing apples/apples, the numbers are more like 55ns vs.
> >60ns.
> >
> >Or maybe this is a false memory.
>
> You could be right and I'm more than willing to be educated.  Anybody know?

	I've heard something like this too, though I don't remeber what
it was. I think it had to do with the BUS speed, hence we're seeing
"100mhz compatible memory," instead of 8ns or 10ns or whatever. Pretty
much to answer the first posters questions, it don't matter how fast
your memory is, your computer can handle it. Now... weather it handles
it with no parity problems, etc, is a measure of the quality of the
memory and your motherboard. I.e. Packard Bells are famous for having
70ns memory, but it tended to run at 80 or 90ns pretty easily. :)

					Rick