Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 05:33:00 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Developer <dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: turing off swap interleaving

>On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if there is a way to disable interleaving...  or best
>> yet...  tell it not to use one partition of swap until another is used
>> up...  the reason I ask is because I reciently came very close to running
>> out of swap so I created a 16meg file, vnconfiged it... and swapped it
>> on...  then I relized that the interleaving will actually kill performance
>> when it swap... while it would be better to tell it to use the original
>> swap until that is full...  any body thought of this before?  thanks for
>> the help... TTYL...
>Sounds like a good idea - I`d like to find out if this is possible also.

   It's not currently possible.

>What is the quickest way of creating a 100MB file BTW?

   dd if=/dev/zero of=your.file bs=10k count=1000

   ...probably not strictly the "quickest" way, but certainly one of the
easiest ways.

>Also I managed to delete the swap file after swapping on it! I think it
>didn`t free up the space on the file system however. Is this safe or not?

   It's safe. The file is marked for delete and should go away when the system
is rebooted (at which time the filesystems are forcibly dismounted, closing
the file and causing it to be deleted).

-DG

David Greenman