Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:57:37 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for large mfs

At 10:16 AM -0700 2000/4/27, Mike Smith wrote:

>  I would consider 4.0, several (three or four) strings of LVD disks and
>  either a Mylex eXtremeRAID 1100 (64MB or more) or an AMI MegaRAID
>  Enterprise 1500.  (The 1600 should probably work too, but I haven't seen
>  one yet so I can't be sure.)  And definitely softupdates.

	That would be for a spool server, but a news peering server
shouldn't need that many disks.  I was planning on doing four
10kRPM/18GB disks with a small RAID 0+1 partition for
/usr/news/history (and a separate one for the /usr/news/spool), but
four separate filesystems mounted under /usr/news/spool/news, and
doing it all with vinum.

	I figure if I lose a single disk, 1/4 of the spool will be toast
but /usr/news/history and /usr/news/spool will still be okay (albeit
reduced in performance), and vinum should be quite fast enough for
what will be asked of it.

>  Note that you can't put more than 8 disks into an array with the Mylex
>  controller (easily), so you'd still want to use ccd or vinum over the top.

	I'm doing that now on our news spool server, for similar reasons
-- it can't make simultaneous use of more than five disks in a LUN,
and can't do its own striping across LUNs.

	In fact, I'd be extremely interested to know if you can build a
Mylex or AMI RAID configuration that is optimized for random read
performance that can perform on the same sort of levels as the 1.8TB
news spool server that Joe Greco built (and reported on in
news.software.nntp), the solid-state disk that Terry Kennedy has on
his news peering server (and reported on in news.software.nntp), or
the news spool server I've built (and reported on in
news.software.nntp ;-).