Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 16:13:01 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        snap-users@kame.net
Cc:        Shoichi Sakane <sakane@ydc.co.jp>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, itojun@iijlab.net
Subject:   Re: (KAME-snap 4571) Re: KAME SPD bug, please try and confirm ...

itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>         my guess is that you have some issue with routing setup.
>         last time, you had some wacky static routes to help source address
>         selection (i do not really recommend that).  do you still have them?
>         if so, please show them to us (to mailing list) with in the script.

No, I don't think so. My routing tables are just fine, I see
with tcpdump how packets are exchanged as they should and I
see them come in the receiving interface and I see them being
dropped an counted under "unknown/unsupported protocol." So,
how can you conclude that it's my routing tables? How should
my routing tables be different?

The point is that the *only* place where I make changes to get
tunnels working and not working is the SPD: I *delete* some SPD
rules and that makes other rules work suddenly, I add the old
rules in and they won't work. I delete the other rules and the
old ones will work again. I am absolutely certain that the SPD
rules engine is buggy.

> >Since my project is in jeopardy because of this bug, I have
> >now engaged plan B, which is to use IPsec in transport mode
> >and one gif tunnel connecting each sattelite with the home

>         you are encapsulating twice with the "gif and IPsec tunnel mode"
>         setup, and the setup won't interoperate with other box.

Well, I don't know what to say. If you can confirm to me that I
am the lonly stupid nitwit here who does all kinds of wacky things,
I would shut up. But so far I have not seen proof for a complex
VPN setup with KAME that does work. I am sort of desperate here,
trying to give as much detail as possible that will allow reproducing
the problem but this all doesn't seem to get through. If I am
doing things wrong, please advise how to do them right, or refer
me to the documentation that does tell this (of course I read the
KAME "newsletter", setkey man page and much other stuff, including
several VPN HOWTO documents that *ALL* use the gif-tunnel hack!)

If anyone on this list has successfully set up a VPN with multiple
remote sites, please contact me so I can ask you questions about
how you've done it. I promise to write a HOWTO as soon as I could
make it work. But so far, multiple IPsec tunnels to subnets just
don't work together well.

Also, if you intend to track down the problem, let me know and I
can send a cleaned up set of test scripts again.

I don't know what experience others have but I am trying to uphold
the honor of open source computing and networking infrastructure
like FreeBSD and KAME in my institution. As much as I praise all
this to the outside and as much as I tell my people that "it's
basically working with only minor problems", I am getting in a more
and more difficult position if I can't make it work because of a
bug/problem that's not being taken seriously.

thank you for producing and taking care of KAME, I'm looking
forward to a bright future,

peace
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine