Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:44:46 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stupid file system tricks.

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9910192252380.84991-100000@s8-37-26.student.washingto
n.edu>, you wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
>>No offense, but it seems that you failed to get the joke.
>>
>>Just saying ``It doesn't do that because it doesn't do that'' (in one form
>>or another) doesn't really answer the question or why it can't be done.
>
>It cannot be done for precisely that reason. I wasn't being flippant in
>the slightest. That is the way it is. It is normal. It is by design. It
>was the work that was done by the people who did the work and they did not
>proceedeth to four and five was right out.
>
>It seems that Mr Zhang tried to add to the discussion. He certainly sounds
>smarter than me an the issue. No offense, but it seems you failed to get
>the non-joke.
>
>Your question is like asking, "Why doesn't my car put the groceries in the
>trunk by itself?" The only answer is that it was not desgined to do that.
>It is something you will have to accept. If you cannot accept it, then
>write the code.

Obviously, it is all a matter of interpretation.

I feel like my question was more along the lines of ``Why won't the filesystem
allow the creation of files whose names begin with the letter R''?

I mean it seems like it _should_ support that.  Why not?  It supports creation
of files whose names begin with A, B, C, D, E, ...  so why not `R'?

It would indeed be worth remarking on if the filesystem has such an odd and
seemingly unnecessary limitation.

Likewise in the case of mounting filesystems (in particular, read-only ones)
in multiple places.

There is no obvious or apparent reason why such a limitation should or must
exist.  The system obviously _has_ been designed with the capability of
mounting filesystems, so why should it refuse to do so more than once?

If you were only allowed to mount at most one filesystem on your whole system
at any given time, then I would probably not be alone in questioning that
seemingly unnecessary limitation.  And the thing I'm _actually_ asking about
is in the same category, I think.