Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:16:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <crites@arlut.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   strange communications problems...

I'm sending this from a client site -- please respond to my real address,
leec@adonai.net.  The reason, in fact, is part of the problem I'm having.

I am having difficulty communicating with the internet via my dedicated
128k isdn line.  It's getting worse as time goes on.

<SHORT HISTORY MODE>
When we started this isp business, one of "us" was a network admin.  When
he saw haw "easy" it was to start up an isp business, he left us to start
one on his own.  Even though we have a lot of computer experience, network
stuff is somewhat out of our league -- mine especially.  So I have spent
the last year reading and tinkering, with somewhat limited success.
</SHORT HISTORY MODE>

Here's what's happening:  I am getting somewhat random in-bound and
out-bound communications problems.  I can send email to some sites and not
others; I have not been made aware of any problems with people sending me
mail.  I can ftp to certain sites with impunity from which I cannot ftp
back in -- or conversly, I can ftp in from sites I cannot ftp back to.  I
have not found a single problem with brousing other web pages; from many
places you can't get pages from my server which are greater than around
1k.  Some places get all of my web pages without a hitch.  And none of the
people who dial in, via my digiboard, can get access to anything outside
of my physical server -- not even other things on my lan.

The 1k limit seems to be across the board.  If I cannot, say, send you a
'regular' email, if I send you one which is *very small* (like "hello
there"), you will most likely get it.

This started about three months ago with just a few sites.  In fact, only
one.  It has now grown to nearly every site I work with.  I started this
message from my own server, since at the time I could *send* mail to
freebsd.org, but when I sent it last night it didn't echo back to me.  I
tried again this morning but still haven't received a reply.  So I assume
freebsd.org is the latest victim of my creeping problem.

One day reverse name service just ceased.  My upline provider helped me
get that back, so at least you know it's me...

So I've spent time off and on during the last few months trying to get
this fixed totally without success.  I cannot find anything which seems
wrong on my system.  Of course, I'm scanning the books I have on hand (The
Essential SA, etc) trying to figure out what might be happening, but
getting nowhere.

It is quite possible I have screwed up something very basic, but not
having a lot of 'real' network admin experience, I can't see it.

SO....

Any clues where I can start looking?

Anyone in the Austin area willing to send me a bid for coming in and
giving the box a once over to see what I've done wrong?

I'd appreciate any help you can toss my way.  If it's a RTM, please
include some specific references -- I probably have the book, just didn't
understand what was there.  (note:  can't RTFM since none of my texts are
anatomically equipped)

If more info is needed, please let me know and I'll try to supply it.

The server in question is adam.adonai.net (205.182.92.2), which should be
providing it's own primary name service.

Thanks muchly...

Lee