Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:20:05 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
Subject:   Re: Stable branch

> I'm not sure I see the n-way merge.
> ..
> When a fix is required, you merge it into -STABLE, and then if
> appropriate, into the release branch also.

Which is the n-way aspect.  You've just increased the amount of
merging by n, where n is each active "release branch" you choose to
support rather than being able to merge once to the branch head and
point people at that.  Sure, you can say it's only for the most minor
patches and such and merge work will be minimal, but in order to
support a user assumption that they can install release x and then
stay on the release x branch from there on out, someone still has
to remember to merge to several locations rather than one now.  Ick.

> 1) I have a release, it has been tested extensively for production
> deployment, and I don't want to track -STABLE.  I do want to be able to

It's only because they really wanted to track -SOLID that they
currently feel that way. :)

- Jordan