Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:01:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Darryl Bowler <darrylb@lizard.org>
To:        jdc@denver.net (John-David Childs)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard drives

> On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Darryl Bowler wrote:
>
> > > I am ordering a new hard drive to run freebsd on and I have an adaptec
> > > 2940 controller.  I am thinking about either a 2.1 gig Western Digital
> > > Ultra Wide SCSI for $525, or a Quantum Atlas ultra-Wide 2.2 gig 5 yr
> > > warranty for $450.  Does anyone have any recommendations ?  I am also
> > > putting in a Intel EtherExpress 10/100 network card.  Is this card ok ?
> > >

> > I hear that the IBM Ultrastar was a good, fast disk at a reasonable price.
> > My experience of Quantum Atlas, are that their are good disk, but get very
> > hot very quickly.
>
> I've used the Ultrastar...it's plenty fast for anything but a news server.
> We've had more problems with the Adaptec 2940 controller code in FreeBSD
> (scsi bus resets/timeouts) than anything else.  Supposedly fixed in 2.2.2
> (I'm running 2.1-RELEASE) but since this is a production machine I can't
> afford to upgrade via boot floopy and it seems that a few people are having
> problems with the 'make world' upgrade path right now (not just with
> "login: get_class" either :-)
> --

slighty of the subject of hard disks...

I never had a problem with my Adaptec 2940 since I started using Freebsd since
2.1.5, but I heard about the problems. However I have a simlar problem where
I have a system that I cant upgrade via floppies, having no physical access
to it. The way I manage to get around this is that I download the new source/
binaries for the version I want to upgrade to, backup /etc via tar  and run the install script (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser) (all done in mulituser).

This then just untars the new version binaries and source, I then compile
new kernel add back old /etc, reboot and volia new system.

I've been this successfully from 2.1.5 -> 2.1.6 -> 2.1.7 -> 2.2.2

Regards Darryl

> John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
> System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions
>   & Network Engineer            901 E 17th Ave, Denver 80218
> "I used up all my sick days...  so I'm calling in dead!"

			http://www.lizard.org/
			Web Cache: www.lizard.org 3128
			Tel:+44 (0)966 197371
			Free Web Space - webmaster@lizard.org
	Just remember...Captain Pugwash..."One eyed Jack shot seamen Stains all
				over the deck!"