Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 17:27:45 GMT
From:      gestur@islandia.is (Gestur A Grjetarsson)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux overriding Default Gateway

Hello everyone,

I'm running my 2.1 rel. now, have been in the past 40 days now, the system
has been smooth and stable on my p5/133, 65Mb RAM, 4.3 Gig Scsi on AHA2940,

the resoun for this letter is because on one system here we run Linux PRE-206,
and have been for a brief time now, two days ago we had an error on our system
here wich was that we couldn't ping our 2nd DNS server, or should I say backbone
to our system domain wich is (isgate.is) ,, our domain is of course
(islandia.is)
well, when we were trying to see what happened to the system we saw one
fault had
occured, and it was that way that the linux system had somehow overrided our DNS
server and made it'self the Default Gateway,,
here below is a summary of netstat, where I show how it should look appropriate
where the Default Gateway is 194.144.233.254

default          isnet-gw           UGSc       70    27727       ep0

but the changes/error wich we found was that the when the linux system is/was
started, it took over default gateway:

default          bonus.is

I don't know why this happened, and would like to know if someone else out there
has had same problems, and if there is known routing error on FreeBSD or the
linux
os wich we can fix ?

here is the netstat wich we consider, status ok:

~# netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default          isnet-gw           UGSc       70    27727       ep0
localhost        localhost          UH          0      773       lo0
194.144.233      link#1             UC          1        0
hummer           0:20:af:cf:67:b8   UHLW        3    11997       lo0
hlunkur          0:80:ad:6:3e:80    UHLW        1    60397       ep0    727
isnet-gw         0:0:c0:35:9:ba     UHLW       70        0       ep0    298
194.144.233.255  link#1             UHLW        1      315
BASE-ADDRESS.MCA link#1

I'm sorry to say I don't have the netstat of when the linux had overrided the
default gateway, but in short, it changed from isnet-gw to bonus.is

Thanks in advance,

   Međ kveđju,
   Best regards,

   Gestur A. Grjetarsson
   kerfisstjori islandia.is               sysadmin islandia.is

         Islandia, Grensásvegur 7, 2h.t.h., 108 Reykjavik
            sími 5884020, modem 5884120, fax 5884014

                      http://www.islandia.is
                http://www.islandia.is/english.htm
                  http://www.islandia.is/skvopn