Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:32:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "John R. Cary" <cary@colorado.edu>
To:        Ireneusz SZCZESNIAK <iszczesniak@iitis.gliwice.pl>
Cc:        Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject:   Re: graphics/opendx  and dropping science/hdf

A few more features possibly of interest:

dxhdf5 also allows the user to downselect at time of import.
One can choose, e.g., to load on average 1/5 of the particles,
selected at random, but only those with 0 < x < 0.1.  Thus,
not all particles are brought into memory, only those relevant.
Similarly, one can load into memory only, e.g., the x component
of some field, sampled at every 10th point in each direction,
and of only some sub-slab of the data.  This is useful for
large data sets, which could overwhelm the memory on a single
processor.

Finally, dxhdf5 has a very liberal, BSD-style license, so it can
be used in other products, both commercial and non commercial.
This is because our goal is to maximize use and, so, feedback,
so that dxhdf5 can "field-hardened" for our own use.

FYI, most of the work was done by Mr. Szczesniak, only a little
by myself.  He did this while working in my research group at
the University of Colorado for the last two years.  Unfortunately,
he will not be able to return this summer, should extensive
development be needed.

JRC

--
                              John R. Cary
Professor, Dept. of Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0390