Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:37:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        terry@phaeton.artisoft.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, mark@quickweb.com, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

> At best, you will be able to prove that if you stand on one foot,
> rub your belly, and press F8 while installing Windows95, it will keep
> 16 bit drivers in the config.sys and (less likely) 16 bit driver loaders
> in the autoexec.bat.  I will be happy to counter this particular argument,
> if you can even make a case for it, with "don't do that, it's a bad idea,
> for the reasons I have outlined in other postings".

PS: If you can in fact prove this, I *will* admit that I was incorrect
about the Windows95 install process.

On the minus side:
-----------------

I will hedge by claiming that you had to go way off the beaten track
to confirm it, and that it is unreasonable to expect me (or any
*reasonable* person) to have travelled that same path.

I will further claim that your point is irrelevant, since even if you
are correct, many 16 bit drivers *still* do not work "happily" without
serious changes away from the Microsoft defined Windows95 default
configuration.

On the plus side:
-----------------

I am willing to locally repeat a Windows95 install which you claim
will function this way.  You should assume that it is an upgrade
install from Windows 3.11 or WFWG, and you must provide the files
which are left in the config.sys, since none of the files I already
have locally act this way.  This will remove any shred of deniability
on my part, if you are in fact correct.

I suppose this presumes that you are willing to go through all of this
effort just to have me repost the second three paragraphs of this
posting, with minor modifications to the first of the three.

Whatever blows your skirts up.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org