Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 14:17:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        dillon@earth.backplane.com
Cc:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com, kris@obsecurity.org, grog@lemis.com, tlambert@primenet.com, mckusick@mckusick.com, ru@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: background fsck and rebooting

	[cvs lists taken off the CC]

After a second thought, Terry's note, that the reboot IS necessary to
ensure, that some files read from the damaged file-system are not
corrupted (even if the background fsck succeeds), does not make that
much sense to me:

	. there is an obvious race between those files being read
	  and the reboot time;
	. as someone else pointed out, we can not restart (or even
	  alert) non-local consumers of the corrupted data (clients)
	  anyway.

The above two reasons, IMHO, indicate, that the background fsck should
NOT be on by default. Enabling it should be a mount option, and the
potential for the troubles should be well documented.

Now, to speed up startups, may be, we can mount the filesystems
immediately, but hang all read/write attempts until the background
fsck is over? This will let programs start, but not run until their
data is ready.

	-mi