Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:07:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jacob Bohn Lorensen <jacob@jblhome.ping.dk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On the topic of news servers..

    Ollivier> According to Jake Hamby:

    >> He says he uses a Perl script to run through the activity log
    >> and figure out which groups his customers are reading, then
    >> changes the expire logs to expire messages in unread groups
    >> after 1 day, while keeping messages in read groups about 7

But - managing a news-server, you may very well serve the readers
best doing the exact _opposite_ :-)

What I mean is that there is not much point in keeping the groups
which are read often longer. Supposedly the articles have been
read. Whereas the not-so-often-read groups, you may wish to keep these
articles longer until someone has had the chance to read them.

It's equally easy to put forward arguments for doing what you
describe, though. So every time I think about doing something like
this for the news system I administer, I get stuck pondering what
strategy to use. I always end up with plain-old
expire-time-per-hierarchy.

Jacob.