Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:45:48 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD partitioning

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 04:24:35PM -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main FreeBSD partition.
>
> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

I think this is the 2nd time you've asked something that is covered in
the Handbook.  Possibly you haven't gotten to the section yet (it's
under Chapter 3):

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disk-organization.html

Scroll down to "Benefit of a single file system" and read from there.

P.S. -- Just because learning BSD is more difficult doesn't mean BSD is
better (yes, you read that right).  Every operating system has its pros
and cons.  Please keep that in mind.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |