Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:32:00 +0100
From:      Olivier Houchard <cognet@ci0.org>
To:        vidalrod@in.tum.de
Cc:        CURRENT <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: panic: don't do that ?]

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:23:53AM +0100, David Vidal Rodr?guez wrote:
Hi,

> 1)
> If they aren't loaded (I forgot them on the 1st try by mistake), the
> kernel panics if I try to change hw.snd.maxautovchans (that odd "bwrite:
> buffer is not busy???" message again!). That shouldn't happen: if I
> don't have any soundcards, this oid shouldn't _exist_ either!

I'm afraid I don't know anything about that. The oid doesn't exist for
me if I don't load the kernel module.

> 2)
> If they're loaded, an attempt to unload snd_via82c686.ko results in a
> panic with the funny message in the subject. But: Aren't modules
> supposed to be unloadable? What's the fun with modules then?

I believe it has been fixed on -CURRENT. You may try this patch :
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~cognet/sound.c.diff

> Any hints on solving this?
>
> My attempt to load modules instead of the monolithic solution (which
> always works) comes due to an odd behaviour of pcm0 (multiplexed with
> hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=8) telling that some /dev/dsp{W,}0.[0-7] devices are
> busy after their first usage. I wanted to address it by unloading the
> affected module and loading it again, but... that'll panic the system.

AFAIK, The device being busy issue is fixed by Brian Feldman's recent commit.
You can find the patch here :
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~cognet/dsp.c.diff

Cheers,

Olivier Houchard