Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:45:47 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
Cc:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>, David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Tani Hosokawa wrote:

> I guess, but with an ethernet cable tester (assuming he's not just doing a
> basic connectivity test) it ought to fully simulate sending some basic bit
> patterns across the cable.  That's the way any of the cable diagnostics
> hardware I've ever worked with did it.  And that should be a completely
> reasonable indication of soundness.

They do... The tester a friend of mine has, has two ends to it. The unit tests
all the pairs + other spec (crosstalk, impeadance, attenuation etc.), and can
send test data between the two ends as well - recording the number of errors
etc. per minute/hour/Mb.

Very expensive / cool bit of kit... You can plug it into a running LAN as
well, and it will draw usage graphs etc. :)

-Kp