Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:39:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading video card/monitor

Hi,

I currently run FreeBSD and X on a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM PCI card with
1Mb video memory. It's displaying at 1024x768x256 on a 14" no name
monitor (it's badged AOC Spectrum, but I've seen the same monitor with
different manufacturers badges on).

As part of a general office upgrade I've been asked if I want a better
monitor/card combo. So I'm after some recommendations. Ideally I want
to be running X at 1280 x 1024 with a ludicrous number of colours (16
million would be nice) but I'll settle for 1280 x 1024 with 256 colours.
All this should be happening on a monitor that's at least 17" big. Flat
screen would be nice, but isn't a must.

I'd like to stick with the current video card if possible, and just throw
some extra RAM at it, although getting a new video card is not out of
the question, as the existing one can be moved into another machine.

Drivers for other OS's is not a requirement.

Is anybody on this list running anything like that and are happy with it?
If so, would you share the information?

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[              Unix wizardry practiced for fun and profit             ]=+--