Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 11:33:34 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ifconfig bogus results?

I just spent an hour trying to figure out why my ethernet port was dead
after rebooting; everything else on the network was fine, but the
freebsd box couldn't ping out and wouldn't respond to anything.  Card is
an SMC etherpower 8432T combo.

netstat showed valid routes everywhere, but routes to other hosts on the
ethernet would time out and disappear.

Doing an ifconfig showed everything as "UP".
However, I finally did the following:

	ifconfig de0 down
	ifconfig de0 up

and away it went.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
What would cause ifconfig to show an up status, when it behaves as if it
is down?

My sysconfig lines look like this:

network_interfaces="lo0 de0 ppp0"
ifconfig_de0="inet 206.230.42.65  netmask 255.255.255.224"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"

I've been having problems with the boot process stalling,
and it is caused by this.
When the above two ifconfig lines are added to netstart to bring
the interface down and back up, I get the following when booting:
	de0: enabling AUI port
and things come up ok.
Without the above two lines, I never see the enabling AUI port
message, which leads me to believe the interface is
not really coming up with the normal ifconfig

--
Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com		(business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org	(personal)