Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 19:46:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Tyson V. Whitcomb" <whitcomb@iquest.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Pentium w/ multile controllers and  disks

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Tyson V. Whitcomb wrote:

> Why do I not get a second operating system load prompt for FreeBSD 2.2.2?
> Please help.

Let's take a look here.

> Four internal disks: two ide drives, one master and one slave, on one
> enhanced on-board ide controller; the third ide drive mastered a second
> stardard on-board ide controller; and a fourth scsi drive on the first of
> two 2940x adaptec scsi controllers.
>
> A 6x Plextor cdrom drive, HP6000 Superstore tape drive, and Iomega 1GB
> external
> zip drive are scsi and connect to the second 2940x adaptec scsi controller.

So your disk setup looks something like this...

PRIMARY IDE CONTROLLER:
	- IDE Disk (Win95)
	- IDE Disk (WinNT)

SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER:
	- IDE Disk (Trying to put FreeBSD here)

SCSI CONTROLLER 0:
	- SCSI Disk (data?)

SCSI CONTROLLER 1:
	- SCSI CDROM (Plextor)
	- SCSI Tape (HP)
	- SCSI Removable (Jaz)

If this is the case, then your problem is that you're trying to install an
OS on anything but the first two disks in the system.  Most BIOSes out
there (with exception) will only boot from the first two disks in the
system, which in this case is the disks on your primary controller.

If you want to boot FreeBSD, you'll need to either install FreeBSD on a
disk on the primary controller or find a boot manager that will boot disks
beyond the first two.  System Commander and Partition Magic / OS/2's boot
manager should handle this OK, although I haven't tested this as of yet.

I hope this helps understand your problem.  Please let us know if you have
any further questions.