Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:36:12 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, mckusick@mckusick.com
Subject:   Re: Any outstanding soft-updates or FFS bugs (matching this  description)?

Matt Dillon wrote:

>     I've had filesystems blow up under test when filling a parition
>     with softupdates turned on.  The most recent time was last
>     weekend while I was testing low-memory stuff.

It would be nice if the softupdates code (or maybe other kernel code
could do this) could detect when filesystem space is running low, and
kick into some "fail-safe" mode.  For example, when the free space drops
below 15%, softupdates could automatically shut itself off, and then
turn itself back on when the free space rises above 20% (hysteresis).

- Donn