Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 2003 15:44:14 -0500
From:      "Joey Mingrone" <mingrone@hotmail.com>
To:        racerx@makeworld.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE, Konqueror, and plugins

Chris,

I've never been able to get any macromedia flash plugin to work with
Konqueror on FreeBSD, but macromedia's flash 5 for linux works great with
FreeBSD's native Mozilla and Firebird with a FreeBSD wrapper.

This is what I would recommend:

First, get rid of all the flash plugins you have installed.  Next, install
the flashpluginwrapper port (This will install the linux flashplugin 5 port
as a dependency).   Once the port has successfully installed there are a few
small tasks.  Here's the message displayed after installing the port:

If you are using a Mozilla browser, you first need to copy the linux
flash plugin into the mozilla plugins directory:

(I actually just create links, but this doesn't really matter.)

# cp %%LOCALBASE%%/lib/flash/libflashplayer.so \
    %%X11BASE%%/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer_linux.so
# cp %%LOCALBASE%%/lib/flash/ShockwaveFlash.class \
    %%X11BASE%%/lib/browser_plugins/

Next, change the Mozilla startup script, %%X11BASE%%/bin/mozilla
to have:

LD_PRELOAD=%%PREFIX%%/lib/libflashplayer.so.1
export LD_PRELOAD

at the top of it (but after #!/bin/sh).  Now start mozilla and go to
'about:plugins' and the flash plugin is enabled!

..and that's pretty much it.  With the exception of the rare site that
requires flash 6, it works perfectly.

To really get a multimedia capable browser you might want to consider
installing the mplayerplug-in and java plugins as well.

Joey