Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 12:52:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forgiving select() call.

> > > If there's a secret undocumented select system call in Solaris, I'd
> > > like to know about it, with something more than anecdotal evidence!
> >
> > 1)	Build a static SunOS 4.1.3 binary that calls select(2).
>

> Been there, done that. See my previous reply. Trussing on Solaris 2.4
> shows it calling poll.

For a STATIC build?

I have a hard time believing this, since SunOS 4.x doesn't *have* a
poll for static 4.x libc stubs linked into the program to call.

> > 2)	Run it on Solaris 2.2 (watch it ENOSYS).
> > 3)	Run it on Solaris 2.3 (watch it work).
>
> What does trussing it on 2.3 show it doing?

Probably calling whatever call the execution class defines for 93 on
the box.  It's entirely possible that it doesn't use the Solaris
sysent[] vector when trapping from a 4.1.3 executable.  FreeBSD
certainly doesn't trap to the same sysent[] vector for Linux or
IBCS2 or BSDI binaries.

> poll. See my previous reply on this topic.
>
> >Personally, except for threading, I develop for Solaris using SunOS.
>
> You obviously have your reasons for doing that. For my money I develop
> for Solaris on Solaris.

Yes.  One of the resons is it makes select() work on Solaris.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.