Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:43:54 -0400
From:      Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        sweetleaf <sweetleaf@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how much space for /

> When i installed freebsd-5.1, i stayed close to the recommended
 > partition sizes in the handbook. The faq. said 100 megabytes would usually be

You might consider Greg Lehey "new" suggestion in the latest (4th) edition
of "The Complete FreeBSD" book (a must have book, in my opinion). In there,
he suggests having just three file systems:

* 4 GB for the root file system, including /usr and /var

* 512 MB swap space

* the rest of the disk for /home, or at least as big as can be easily
backed up

Seems like a good idea to me.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD blog: