Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:47:38 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd: "unable to contact server" (on a parallel port???)

At 5:56 PM -0500 12/10/01, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
>garance gave,
>
>>  At 4:48 PM -0500 12/10/01, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
>>  >garance granted,
>
>>  >>  At 12:25 PM -0500 12/10/01, Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
>>  >>  >lpq: Unable to contact server!
>
>>  >>  Presumably it contains more than that, because that last line ends
>>  >>  with a '\', which means it will continue on to the following line.
>
>>  >yikes.  You're right.  umm, what should the rest be? :)  I suppose I
>>  >managed to delete it somehow . . . and I seem to have deleted my /
>>  >etc.old backup directory a few days ago . . .
>>
>>  Hmm.
>>  I would guess that all you're really missing is the setting for a
>>  log-file (that would be convenient to have, at least).  I would
>>  suggest adding a line of:
>>	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs-lp:
>
>that sounds reasonable.  /var/log/lpd-errs exists, so I changed
>printcap to
>
>lp|hplj4|Hp LaserJet 4:\
>         :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/:\
>         :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
>         :if=/usr/local/libexec/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs

I think you need a trailing ':' there.

>Even after booting, though, I get
>
>fac13:/root#lpq
>lpq: Unable to contact server!

You shouldn't have to reboot.  Just stop and start the 'lpd'
process.

The next thing to look for is if you have multiple versions of
lpr or lpq.  See if you have a version in /usr/local/bin as well
as /usr/bin.  This can happen if you have installed KDE, which
was bringing in 'cups', which would give you duplicate commands
in /usr/local/bin.