Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 20:18:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        "R. Joe Schwartz" <rjoe@sterinfo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X and mouse definitions

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, R. Joe Schwartz wrote:

> I've a Dell Optiplex with FreeBSD 2.1.5 on it.
> I want to run X.
>
> Being unfamiliar with the terminology, what is the differance between
> a bus mouse and a PS/2 mouse?
>
> What are the device names for each?

The bus mouse is /dev/mse0, the PS/2 mouse is /dev/psm0.

> Can I simply use the first com port and put my 3 button serial mouse on
> it instead of using the PS/2 or bus mouse? Is there anything in the
> kernel to either enable or disable depending on which is used?

Grep through LINT for mse and psm, the sample lines are in there.  A
serial mouse doesn't need anything special, serial port drivers are
compiled in by default.  I'm using a three-button serial mouse and it has
never given me trouble.  I wasn't able to get a PS/2 mouse working with X,
by the way, though your mileage may vary.  If you've got the spare serial
port, save yourself the trouble and use a serial mouse, is my advice.

> Thanks loads for your response.
>
> Joe Schwartz
>
> -------------------------------------
> Please reply to:
>
> rjoe@sterinfo.com

You should really use a reply-to header for this sort of thing, if your
mailer can do it.  Hmm, the headers say you're using Mozilla on Solaris.
I don't know how Mozilla does it but it probably can.

> PS
>
> I've several FreeBSD Internet servers in Austin, TX. which I've set up
> for companies. Everyone's very pleased.

Cool.  :)

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."