Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:59:37 -0800
From:      gdonl@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, gdonl@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

On Jan 21, 11:09pm, Warner Losh wrote:
} In message <200001220551.VAA15775@salsa.gv.tsc.tdk.com> Don Lewis writes:
} : (b) still needs to be generalized to cover other paths that generate
} : RST packets.
}
} Matt has a patch for (b).

Which is why I didn't implement (b).  I figured his implementation
would be better than mine.

} You two might want to merge the two.

That sounds good to me.

} I
} think that the discarding of multi-cast packets is one of those can't
} hurt sorts of things.
}
} I'm less sure about the wildcard stuff.  What's the measurable results
} on this change?

It will save some CPU cycles, but IMHO it seems cleaner to have non-SYN
packets ignore the listening sockets.   Why should the path though the
code for a non-SYN packet depend on whether there is a listening socket
that matches the packet's destination address and port?  This would also
allow us to clean up some of the code that handles the LISTEN state.