Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:00:11 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos <miguel@anjos.strangled.net>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Mall : to hell

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos <miguel@anjos.strangled.net> writes:
> Let's take gcc for example, how much of RedHat's money goes to gcc?
> Well, gcc was there long before RedHat existed, and it has evolved
> to meet RedHat's clients needs long ago (why should the quality of
> the compiler matter to RedHat back when Microsoft's compiler was
> very bad comparatively?), so I don't think gcc receives a lot
> because of a), and because of b) I suspect it receives only a quota
> of a global amount given to FSF. I'm really convinced that gcc owes
> very little of its existance to RedHat or similar fundings. But I'm
> just guessing, perhaps RedHat is more into Philanthropy.

Yes, GCC is an excellent example.  It had gotten completely bogged
down in FSF politics and was going nowhere fast when Cygnus Solutions
(one of the first companies to try to make money on Open Source)
forked EGCS.  In a short time, they made great improvements to the
optimizer, brought the C++ frontend (which the FSF had neglected for
years) up-to-date, and added a Java frontend.  The FSF finally gave
in, and EGCS became the official version of GCC.  Cygnus has since
been absorbed by RedHat, which continues to fund the development of
GCC.

RedHat has also made and continues to make many other contributions to
Linux and GNU, such as LVM and the device mapper (their equivalent to
GEOM), or GFS, originally a closed-source product, which was open-
sourced when RedHat acquired Sistina.  The PAM implementation used in
most Linux distributions, Linux-PAM, was developed entirely within
RedHat.  I'm sure there are dozens or hundreds of other examples.

More recently, both SuSE (now owned by Novell) and RedHat have
invested a lot of effort into improving X, with compositing, 3D
desktops, much improved hardware acceleration, etc.  All of this work
benefits not only Linux, but also BSD.

I suppose the conclusion we can draw from this is that you were
arguing out of ignorance...

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no