Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:28:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        Bernard Jauregui <bernard@cityscape.co.uk>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org, Bernard Jauregui <bernard@cityscape.co.uk>, Douglas Reay <douglas@cityscape.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Postgres95 under FreeBSD 2.1.5R

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Bernard Jauregui wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who pointed out that Postgres95 required the SYS V
> messaging and memory options set in the kernel.
>
> Unfortunately I had already though of that and they were present.

This is most interesting thing... I compiled Postgres95 1.05 on FreeBSD
2.1.5 with virtually *no errors*, and now it's up and running (let me
see... yes, it still runs).

Maybe you forgot to install newly compiled kernel?

Oh, yes, and as I see your postmaster tried to get a big chunk of shared
memory and got choked. I'd suggest trying to increase maximum size of
shared memory (it's an option during compile - I forgot the name).

> Any more suggestions, or do I need to move to FreeBSD 2.2 as Glen Foster
> suggests ? Hint : This would be a major pain :-)

Don't do this (especially if it hurts ;-). I tell you, it can be done -
we may further elaborate on configurations/options/whatnot, but
eventually it WILL work.

Andy,

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@warman.org.pl>    _)    _)   _)_)   _)_)_) _)  _)
Research and Academic Network in Poland   _)  _)_) _)_)_)_)     _) _) _)
Bartycka 18, 00-716 Warsaw, Poland        _)    _) _)    _) _)_)_) _)  _)