Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:30:46 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        djv@bedford.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Sunday,  9 August 1998 at 10:03:38 -0400, djv@bedford.net wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote
>> (moved to -chat)

>>> You're wrong :) The IBM mainframe OS, MVS, will run several OS's on
>>> the same machine, simultaneously. Each user gets his own OS.  This
>>> is very cool...
>>
>> Nowadays the operating system is called OS/390, also known as UNIX 95.
>> I thought it was VM that ran multiple operating systems, not MVS.
>
> You think correctly.  Why do i have MVS on my brain...
>
> 	for(i=0;i<10000;i++)
> 		promise("I will not make this misteak again");
>
>> First I've heard of it.  I haven't been keeping much track of the 360
>> family in the last 10 years or so, but before that they were decidedly
>> CPU bound.
>
> Well, everything was bound up then. :)  The 360/195  (I think this
> was known as the "Stretch")

No, Stretch was the 7030, and predated the 360/<anything> by a number
of years.  Supposedly the first machine to achieve 1 MIPS, but it
didn't quite make it.

> was quite snappy in its time. The apps I ran (numerical) were by
> definition CPU bound, anyway. This was a 2 of a kind unit (one for
> NSA, one for Los Alamos IIRC), with a hotrod CPU and a big load of
> memory, how much I've forgotten (128MB?  More?), which IIRC was made
> of discrete transistors.

I've never heard of discrete transistor memory of any size.  The
System/360 was the first machine in the world to use integrated
circuits in a serious way, but it's possible they made exceptions in
strange machines like the 360/195.

> I think it was faster than its contemporaries in the 370 series. The
> Navy kept it running until ~1986, I believe the power bill was why
> they shut it down. :-) (It was at the PAX NATC in S. Maryland).

Yes, the 360/195 wasn't really a 360 (all other 360s had model numbers
under 100, all 370s over 100).  I've forgotten the details, but for a
360 it really moved.  It probably had over 1 MIPS.

> It had the cute feature, that if you requested more memory than
> was installed, it would enter your job in a queue, and notify
> the operator to order and install more memory.

This sounds like a side-effect of running OS/VS/1.  IIRC it was the
only /360 with virtual memory (and an 8 entry TLB :-)

Greg