Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:35:46 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:27:28 -0400
Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org> wrote:

> In my opinion, as a server, FreeBSD is a great choice.
> It is fast, reliable, and very well built.  But as a
> desktop choice, it leaves a little to be desired.

I use FreeBSD as a desktop (am I the only one who does? :-) ), and find
it quite useful, and more easy and elegant to administer than Linux.
(Linux = easier to install, FreeBSD = easier to maintain.) In everything
except running the latest commercial games FreeBSD is a win; it even
offers more choices in certain Internet client apps (not to mention
server applications) than Windows. GNOME and KDE are too slow and try to
immitate Windows without offering real improvements however for a GUI. I
prefer to use Windowmaker, a NeXT clone, which is fast, easy to
configure, and beautiful.

I guess it depends upon what your needs are. If your main tasks are
using the internet, learning software development, and you love Unix
then FreeBSD is a great choice. If you need to run the latest games and
have an insecure and uninspired mess as your OS then Windows has a
place. :-)