Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 17:32:53 -0400
From:      browning <darkdog@www.netmcr.com>
To:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   install

Since the hardware goddess brought me a new (second) hard drive, that
problem is solved. I now have several more questions. I've been saving them up.

1) atapi.flp is not on the 2.1.5 CD (nor is inst_bat). I downloaded it from
the 2.1.0 directory on the ftp server and used rawrite to copy to a fresh
floppy. It appears to boot the kernel but when it begins searching the
system it hangs up, giving me a blank screen. Is this why atapi.flp was not
included in the 2.1.5 distribution?  boot.flp works just fine until I ask
for CD-ROM as install medium and get a "No CD-ROM..." message (which makes
perfect sense).

2) Now that I have two hard drives, do I want a primary and secondary master
(present set-up), or a master and slave? FreeBSD finds, opens and partitions
the second master just fine.

3) If two master drives, where does the boot manager go? The BSD boot
manager to open DOS, BSD, and NT? Or the NT boot manager, which I gather
doesn't work very well.

4) Okay, so I know I can't at present install from the CD. I copy all of
/dists and /floppies to an empty DOS partition, figuring I'll get the rest
later. I go through the novice install menus and at the end I get:

        a) "Error mounting /dev/wd0s2 on /dos: invalid argument(22)" then,
        b) "Can't find kernel image..." then,
        c) "Install completed with errors..."

and then back to the install menu. Copying the directories to
d:\freebsd\dists\(distname)or d:\freebsd\(distname) seems not to make a
difference. Is BSD loaded? Can I then go to the configuration menu and fix
things?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a wonderful learning experience,
this is starting to get frustrating. Thanks.

        Chris Browning