Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:16:58 -0800
From:      Parker Brown <phbrown@gte.net>
To:        support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need Help Installing Ports, etc on 2.2.5

Until 2.2.2 & 2.2.5 I don't remember having problems using lynx to
access the handbook and faqs file included in distribution.  I'm using a
little over a gig for FreeBSD, so space is not problem, and after
installation I have a substantial /usr/ports file (/distrib is empty),
and there is a lynx directory in  www.
Anyway, i now realize that I haven't a clue as to how to install a ports
or packages file after installation.  I've tried playing with
/stand/sysinstall as well as copying various directoies into
/usr/ports/distribution (sp?) and using make.  No success with anything.

Almost always there is documention somewhere on the distribution CD's
for just about everything I have needed to do, but I just don't seem to
find what I need this time.

My request: what is the basic process for installing/uninstalling ports
& packages, and where can I read about it in more depth on the
distribution?