Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 15:01:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virus on FreeBSD

[ On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 18:15:55 (+0200), Philippe Regnauld wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Virus on FreeBSD
>
> Greg A. Woods writes:
>
> > Anyone who's read that article and has even the tiniest amount of
> > imagination would *NEVER* run LKMs on a production machine.  Sure
>
> 	BTW, is there a mechanism to disable loading of LKMs ?
> 	(of course, removing the modload command is one way) -- I was
> 	thinking about something that looked at the securelevel
> 	and refused to load/unload a module depending on it.

Not difficult at all, thankfully.  Just define NO_LKM in your kernel
configuration (from the /sys/i386/conf/LINT kernel config example):

	# If you want to disable loadable kernel modules (LKM), you
	# might want to use this option.
	options         NO_LKM

I've not done a code walkthrough to ensure this is 100%, but it's a good
start and at least prevents modload from being useful.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>