Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 97 10:52:06 -0500
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   GPS PCMCIA cards; time acquisition

I'm looking for PCMCIA GPS cards for a GPS-assisted routing research
project I'm starting at Harvard.

I've had an advisee of mine look into vendors and their products. What
he's found is that while several vendors _were_ making PCMCIA GPS
receivers, almost all have stopped manufacturing them. He informs me that
the reps he's spoken with cite lack of demand as the reason.

In particular, he tells me that Sony, whose GPS receiver is listed in
PAO's pccard.conf, has stopped making their card.

The bottom line is that he says the _only_ card he's been able to find
for sale anymore is the SatNav from Centennial Technologies. This card
presents a serial port interface, and provides a data stream of
position fixes and time information, either in a proprietary or NMEA
format. The card is based on Rockwell hardware.

Unfortunately, this card does _not_ provide a high-resolution clock,
as some stand-alone units do. (I'm talking about a pulse on a single
pin on the serial interface to delineate start-of-second, for
resolution on the order of microseconds in some cases.) The high-res
clock pulses are on our wish list.

My question: can anyone confirm cards that are _still_ for sale by
other vendors? And does anyone know of a PCMCIA GPS receiver that has
microsecond time source accuracy (pulsed, as above)? Experience with
particular cards is welcome, too, of course.

An alternative would be for us to buy a stand-alone, battery-powered
GPS with accurate clock that has a serial interface. In that case,
we'd need to add a serial port to our laptops, because the built-in
one is already spoken for by a Metricom radio network interface. Are
add-on PCMCIA serial ports available, and if so, any recommendations?

Your comments greatly appreciated,
-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu