Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:56:22 -0400
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        "ke han" <ke.han@redstarling.com>
Subject:   Re: freeBSD certified server hardware ?

> Does anyone know if any server manufacturer of high regard is
> currently certifying for freeBSD 6.1?
> I know the general answer is check the components on the release
> notes.  I also know there are a few integrators on the community list
> (wow, some of their list pricing is much higher than the big
> names!!).  Doesn't HP, Sun, IBM, Dell have anything they certify for
> FreeBSD?  Is this expected to get better over the next year or so?
> thanks, ke han

Hello ke han,

To my knowledge, none of the top vendors have any certification for FreeBSD.

What I suggest you do is have one of the sales rep set you up with a
test machine. The easiest way to do so is to go at their offices with
a FreeBSD install disk and try to boot/install it on the hardware
you're interested in. That's what I do with HP, Sun and IBM (IMHO, try
to avoid Dell).

On the other hand, there is a company at
http://www.freebsdsystems.com/. By their name, one would think that
the hardware they push should work fine with FreeBSD. I never dealt
with them, so I really have no idea if they're good?

Have fun,

David
--
David Robillard