Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:46:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Re: Performance hint for JDK on FreeBSD

> Ok, I tested the JDK 1.1.8 with the AWTTest utility, and I wrote a new program
> to see if the creation of a java.awt.Frame would perhaps take a longer amount
> of time on 1.1.8. Not. It seems JDK 1.1.8 just perhaps heaps better than
> 1.2.2...

isn't it just known fact that 1.2 is all times worst in term of
performance? Using Windows as a references system (since I don't have
access to a single Sun machine), I've noticed that 1.1 is the fastest, 1.3
is acceptable and 1.2 is ... well, I try not to use it.
I agree that native FreeBSD port of 1.1.8 show very decent performance.
Even on an "averagely high" PIII-500 AWT functions show very-very good
performance.
So what I'm getting at is: do we need a 1.2 port or is it better to
concentrate on 1.3?
I might be missing something important of course...