Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 1996 09:06:26 -0800
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>
To:        "Michael A. Urban" <mds@usa.nai.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qpopper 2.1.4.3

Ouch!

Grab the qpopper 2.2 source from Qualcomm's site.  There were
some *drastic* speed differences made.  It will make the difference
between users being able to pop a 5-10 meg mailbox or not (!).
The 2.2 source will only build the temporary files it needs in
the instance where *some* mail is being deleted (versus all or none),
and then, this is done at closing versus at startup.

To make the 2.2 source compile, you may need to add the crypt library
in the make files.. ( -lcrypt on the gcc command line.. )

At 06:02 PM 12/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I was able to get the package to install and modified inetd.conf and
/etc/services.  The instructions mention the necessity  of having the crypt
library installed for password comparisons.  After I setup my client to
access the POP3 server and attempt to retrieve mail, I get the following
error:

>ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libc.so.3.0"
>
>I assume that it's because I don't have the crypt library installed.  The
question is,  where do I get it?  Also, I already tried getting qpopper2.2
installed but it fails to compile with an error message that includes an
invalid reference to '_crypt'

--
           Jason Fesler  jfesler@calweb.com  Internic: 'whois jf319'
            Admin, CalWeb Internet Services   http://www.calweb.com