Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 23:00:07 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'make world': /bin/sh not found

Folks,

This is an odd one. I'm trying to update my 2.2.5-stable system to the
latest -stable. My last successful 'make world' was on Jan 31 this
year.

I tried again about 2 weeks ago, and 'make buildworld' is now failing at

  ===> gnu/lib/libg++/doc
  rm -f g++FAQ.info* libg++.info* iostream.info* Errs errs mklog lgpl.texinfo
  /bin/sh: not found
  *** Error code 1

  Stop.

This error is 100% repeatable, and happens whether I'm running the make
in a root shell (tcsh) in an Xterm, or from 'sh' after booting the machine
single user.

I'm sure it's not a problem with the build process per se, otherwise
I've have seen other complaints. And I'm pretty certain it's not flaky
hardware, since the 'buildworld' fails at exactly the same point each
time (regardless of the shell or the machine's run state).

I assume that I'm running out of allowed resources at some point? I've
tried using 'unlimit' before doing the build, to no effect. I've also
copied over the most recent login.conf (1.9.2.6) for this branch, again
to no effect.

On the off chance there was a corruption in /usr/src I blew it away and
checked it out from the CVS repository again. No change. I also blew
away /usr/obj. Again, no change.

I'm missing something obvious, but I'm damned if I know what it is.
Suggestions welcome.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?