Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:04:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no subject (file transmission)

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 2.  Declare the BSD method (the REAL original crontab) the winner.
>
> I think this is probably our best bet.

Objection.  I voted against /etc/crontab back in the old days, and i'm
still against it (and always kill it as soon as i've installed a
system).

There's only a few things where i'm stating SysV to have the better
approach, but per-user crontabs certainly belong into this category.

Remember, the original BSD crontab was even more braindead in that it
didn't allow crontab entries for users other than root, and the
current /etc/crontab would make a mess for crontab(1) to allow for
per-user cron commands, while the existing approach with one file per
user is there && has proven to work.  On the opposite, i don't see
anything /etc/crontab would gain us that /var/cron/tabs/ doesn't
already give us as well.  (Not counting nostalgic feelings. :)

Despite of this, i consider a world-readable /etc/crontab a BIG
security hole.  Read "The Cuckoo's egg" for why intruders do like to
know when exactly system maintenance jobs are about to run...

--
cheers, J"org