Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 05:54:47 PDT
From:      "David Caldwell" <caldwell_david@hotmail.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lets see what kind of response I can generate

Hello Again,

I am David Caldwell and I generated quite a response from a question I
proposed to the group some time ago about teaching my children a
better OS than Microstuff point and click.

Time restraints have kept me from doing anything with this, but as
soon as time permits (and good equipment falls into place) I'll send
the results.

Here is my latest question:

I need A Virtual Private Network...here's the details:

I work for the cheapest company around, so money constraints are tight
(which makes anything other the multi copper lines out of the
question...no adsl or isdn).

Here's the proposal I have been working on:

I want to put together a Pentium machine (from existing surplus) with
3 good 56K modems and a nic and proxy this up to the network while
utilizing all three of the current isp accounts we have (only two are
being used currently and very limited use at that). I came up with
this idea when trying to get them better access to the net.

In turn this company has some 20+ remote sites with as many as 250
users spread out over those sites. I propose to put a similar box in
at each site and set up acounts with the local ISPs so they will also
have access.

Now can this same box be used for the VPN with encryption and
firewalls set up or will I have to set up a second box. Are there any
open source firewall progs that are effective or should I look for a
commercial setup. Same goes for the encryption...commercial or open
source.

Any and all input is welcome...

By the way...how do I register for Chat here????

David Caldwell
(The Unix Inept...but creative...LOL)