Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:58:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fstack protector

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Martin Blapp wrote:

> Can't we add this to the gcc in the base_system for CURRENT ?
>
> It seems that OpenBSD 3.3 will contain this too as they
> mention.
>
> Martin
>
> Martin Blapp, <mb@imp.ch> <mbr@FreeBSD.org>

That'd work, except that then be dependant on the patch continuing to work
during every gcc upgrade.

One possible solution would be to have a gcc-ssp port which would build a
SSP version of the base system's compiler, and call it gcc-ssp or
something.  Then we could make certain ports depend on using it, perhaps.

The _real_ solution is for the gcc guys to integrate it into gcc 3.3, but
I'm not sure how that could be made to happen.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack