Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:40:35 -0500
From:      "brent" <blinklabs@yahoo.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   help (system detail)

maxtor 60 gig ultra ata 30 90 M Ram

i partitioned it as follows
30 gig FreeBSD partition 30 gig DOS (windows is NOT installed or ever has
been)
500M /
500M swap
1 G /
1 G /var
250M /tmp
1 G /usr
1 G /home

I am installing from a cd, (i bought it so i know it is not a screwed up
image) the cd boots up fine and begins the install.
I check my irq settings and hardware, they are all detected correctly.  When
i install i select the ALL option to install
everything, including the ports. The process will begin to run and then will
crash due to kernal panic and different times
of the install. i suspected at first that it was because my swap partition
was not large enough, so i increased the size. this did not work when i
tried to install again. i wiped the drive and attempted to install again
with the ALL option, and it worked. (i got to the menu that says congrats).
i did not choose to configure any options past this point partly because i
wanted to make sure it worked and partly because i wanted to learn how to do
it all manually. i rebooted the machine, and signed in as root. i then went
to sysinstall and tried to add Gnome with Sawfish. The package began the
install and copying files, then suddenly crashed due to a kernel panic. i
should say that i tried to run startx and i got several errors ("execve
failed for /usr/X1186/bin X (errno 2) "followed by a several lines of
"_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno =2) thats all i can really
think to tell you all. thanks for looking this over!